5 Powerful Periscope Payoffs
By David Landis, LCI President
I recently had the pleasure of co-hosting a seminar for PR News’ August 10 Social Media Summit with my colleague and pal James Mowdy (@JamesJetsOften), head of B/Spoke, a brand consultancy. The subject? How best to use Twitter’s Periscope to amplify your business’ video strategy. What follows is a summary of some of the highlights. Be sure to follow me on Twitter: @david_landis.
“A great brand is a story that’s never completely told.” – Scott Bedbury
Periscope is, in a word, a powerhouse. Founded in 2014, the platform provides live video broadcasting and storytelling via a smartphone app – for any brand. It now boasts 10 million accounts and nearly 2 million daily users. Seizing the opportunity for their own users, Twitter acquired the company in March, 2015.
Think of it this way: Periscope (via Twitter) provides every brand with its own broadcast TV channel, a distribution network and instantaneous engagement.
Here are 5 Powerful Periscope Points and Payoffs:
- Should brands consider using Periscope?
- It’s affordable (no additional budget is required)
- It’s accessible to anyone with a Twitter account and a smartphone
- It’s powerful (it’s propelled by Twitter’s velocity and reach)
- Why Periscope?
- It’s a perfect tool for storytelling
- It’s terrific for breaking news
- It amplifies brand recognition
- It helps with sales conversions
- Is Periscope right for your brand?
- YES, if your brand already has a social/Twitter presence
- YES, if you are looking to launch a new product
- YES, if you are announcing news
- YES, if you are trying to reach a broad, consumer audience
- NO, if your brand is a highly regulated business
- NO, if your brand has top-secret or confidentiality issues
- Who has used Periscope successfully?
Many brands, including Experian (#CreditScope), Adobe (#CreativeCloud) and the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), but one of my favorites was #DoritosRoulette for Doritos. Doritos was one of the first to use Periscope to promote a contest. The purpose? To draw attention to its new product, “Roulette,” a chip so spicy that it “may just be too hot to handle.” The contest included online games of chance, a live giveaway styled like a gameshow and many opportunities to win prizes (after tagging 3 of your social media buddies).
- What are some best practice Periscope takeaways?
- Periscope is perfect for business-specific breaking news
- Periscope’s broadcast focus provides evergreen storytelling
- The newness of Periscope helps your brand gain market share
- Periscope guarantees that your brand is televised
- Periscope fortifies, empowers and expands your brand’s Twitter – and video – strategy
- Periscope+Twitter supports audience development and leads to sales conversions