Hi, Amber Whiteside, Account Executive here at LCI, with my first blog entry, and I have to tell you, I’m just not sure I’m the blogging type. I don’t have a Facebook or Myspace account, I don’t IM, I don’t Yelp and I write text messages that read like novels.
My reluctance to blog may correspond to the fact that in addition to working at LCI, I contribute to various print publications as a freelance art-writer. Perhaps I’m just stubbornly (and futilely) rejecting the new technology that will inevitably render old-fashioned journalism obsolete.
In the PR industry we keep hearing from media that their hard copy page allocation has been slashed in favor of website copy, and in the last few months, we’ve lost to layoffs many of our most respected colleagues at prominent newspapers and television stations. Newspapers and local broadcast are no longer relevant with the advent of citizen journalism and YouTube. We’re witnessing a monumental shift in the world of media.
As such, I must conclude that my own, much slaved over art reviews go largely unread, in favor of pithy art blogs such as Tyler Green’s art world must-read Modern Art Notes.
I guess I’ve got to buck up and blog!
And so here goes my Buzzworthy Top 12:
1. Russian River Valley– The perfect day or weekend trip, this is my favorite area for wine tasting. And on a really nice day, take Highway One on the way up and build a picnic with oysters from Hog Island Oyster Company in Tomales Bay, and bread from the Wild Flour Bakery in Freestone.
2. Southern Exposure Auction – Southern Exposure is one of oldest nonprofit art galleries in San Francisco and their much anticipated annual auction is the best place to find contemporary art at great prices. This year’s auction is Saturday, April 26—buy your tickets in advance!
3. The Paramount Theatre – I visited this Art Deco landmark for the first time a few months ago, and it’s beautiful. I hear you can even tour the catacombs, so that’s next on my list.
4. ODC – I just recently took up Afro-Brazilian dance classes here. I won’t be performing in public anytime soon, but it’s so fun.
5. Alameda Flea Market –The best place to find anything and everything. The first Sunday of every month.
6. Philz Coffee – My vote for best local coffee.
7. Fort Funston – I have two little dogs and this is their favorite place in the whole world.
8. Dutchy – My very favorite locally designed handbags. Sign up to get notified of sample sales!
9. Carrie Fisher: Wishful Drinking – Just saw this last night and it’s unbelievably funny and very brave. What a life she’s led! Get there fast—it closes April 12.
10. The Way That We Rhyme: Women, Art & Politics – My favorite current art exhibition, on view at Yerba Buena Center for the Arts until June 29.
11. SFMOMA MuseumStore – The best place to find gifts for everyone in your life.
12. Jeremy’s – Here’s where I come for designer clothes, shoes, and accessories, all deeply discounted. And it’s in South Park—one of the best little pockets of San Francisco.