Account Supervisor Alicia Balkrishna here to share a little inspiration from UsWeekly . . .
Flip through any celebrity gossip rag and you might start to wonder: is Hollywood filled with control freaks? Reese Witherspoon dubbed her production company Type A Films. Jennifer Aniston is a self-described ‘neurotic.’ And, Madonna’s purported obsession with control has always been legendary.
Yet, it’s undeniable that many of the same stars who’ve earned the scarlet ‘C’ for control are wildly successful. So, I muse: can a Type A personality catapult you ahead of the pack? Or, perhaps it’s the related traits . . . poise, attention to detail and pride in a job well done that actually make the difference for the ‘so-called’ control freaks of the world? And, don’t forget the elbow grease.
As a perfectionist, I’m well aware of the benefits of striving to it do it all at 110%. Yet, for us mere mortals who can’t jaunt off to Canyon Ranch to soothe our anxieties on a dime, I’ve found that a little levity about all those things we can’t control can go a long way. If you’re a PR professional who’s ever had a nighmare about that New York Times placement that didn’t surface, check out these handy tips for the PR control freak:
- Repeat three times: it’s PR, not ER. Uber-wise quote from my sage colleague Judy Rowcliffe.
- Celebrate success! In the 24/7 agency world, it’s easy to feel as though you’ve never done enough. Take a minute to savor all the fantastic things you’ve accomplished before you beat yourself up for those that may have to wait until tomorrow.
- Take control. The good ol’ to-do list can be a girl’s (or guy’s) best friend. It may sound counterintuitive, but mapping out your work in (sometimes) excruciating detail can actually relax, rather than overwhelm. Check things off with glee!
And if all else fails, check out a few of these Buzzworthy ideas to help you decompress:
- TRU Spa – Complimentary champage, plush bathrobes and heavenly treatments. Massages start at 75 minutes. ‘Nuff said.
- Samovar Tea Lounge – Sink into charming floor pillows and select from an amazing menu of artisan teas. Savory and sweet nibblies complete the charmingly Zen experience.
- ODC Dance Commons – Dance your stress away. Flamenco, hip hop, modern and much more at this unpretentious studio in the Mission.
- The Pampered Girl – Mani/pedi therapy in an oh-so-girlie setting. And, they don’t skimp on the warm lotion massage.
- Get away in the redwoods – Our client, Save-the-Redwoods League, has been protecting the world’s tallest trees for 90 years so you can enjoy ‘em. Check out the San Francisco Chronicle Travel Section for tips on where to go.
2 thoughts on “Stars: neurotic just like us?”
From one neurotic to another. . .glad we have new ideas for ways to relax. Cheers, David
I am very late on catching up on all of my LCI blogs, but I must say, from one neurotic to two others, this is so great! 🙂 Miss you guys!
Comments are closed.