David Landis, just back from Europe where I met with my Public Relations Global Network (www.prgn.com) colleagues at our semi-annual meeting in Paris. PRGN, by the way, is a network of 38 leading independent public relations agencies now spanning six continents across the globe.
So, what’s the news from Europe? (In not any particular order). . .
· PRGN’s new President is Irish-born and bred Frank Cullen of Cullen Communications (www.cullencommunications.ie) . Top of the morning to ya, Frank!
· The word at our conference heard around the world: the slowing of the economy – except, that is, in Brazil, China, India, Russia and Poland.
· Bring a TANKLOAD of money. A normal T-shirt was 30 euros (i.e., about $51). Breakfast in hotels (a croissant and coffee) was 25 euros (about $42). Oy vey. . .
OK, in honor of Europe, here’s my Buzzworthy list from the Loire Valley, Paris and Barcelona:
· Hotel Le Manoir Les Minimes bed and breakfast in Amboise, France – a great, gay-owned bed and breakfast on the banks of the Loire. Charming, delightful, clean – ask for the corner room upstairs with a view of the river.
· Domaine des Hauts de Loire – great Relais & Chateau property in Onzain – go for the ten course dinner tasting menu, but you’ll have to forego your kid’s college tuition. It’s worth it.
· The chateau at Chenonceau stretches across the River Cher – divine! Have lunch at their L’Orangerie, but order the local wine to save money.
· Priorat – the hot new Spanish wine – and you can get one delicious varietal at Bev Mo on sale for $13.99!
· All the Gaudi architecture in Barcelona, but especially Casa Battllo
· The Axel Hotel in Barcelona – gay owned and operated and their motto is “hetero-friendly”
· Flauta in Barcelona – great tapas
· The Joan Miro Foundation in Barcelona – beautiful collection, gorgeous building and breathtaking views from the grounds
· La Maison – great neighborhood restaurant near Notre Dame in Paris and the restaurateur is a hoot!
· Being back in San Francisco where $1 buys you something. . .
Adios and Au Revoir for now!