We decided to publish an updated version of this popular blog since it provides valuable information for PR and marketing professionals. This blog originally appeared on the Public Relations Global Network (PRGN) website in May 2019. PRGN is a connected network of 50 public relations firms serving key markets around the world. Although they are not on the list, PRSA San Francisco and Media Bistro are two other great resources for PR professionals.
By Craig MacLellan
Although PR professionals are usually seen as news-shapers, we are also news-makers, especially as our industry evolves at an ever-increasing rate. Whether they provide tips on utilizing new social media management tools or analyze the latest communications disaster, the PR trade titles do a vital job keeping our industry up-to-date.
Below are six to-go sites for PR news and industry updates in the US:
- O’Dwyer’s is always the first port-of-call for PR news. The site blends the news on PR companies, both big and small, with updates on the latest personnel and account moves. It also has a great roster of opinion writers from across different sectors of the PR community. However, the website could do with a redesign.
- PR Daily is the go-to site for improving PR skills. The site’s short, snappy articles are quick to read and give helpful advice on how to keep your skill-set fresh.
- PR News is very similar to PR Daily, although its articles tend to be more in-depth. I would utilize both, depending on how much time you have available.
- Bulldog Reporter does not cover day-to-day PR news but does a fantastic job at taking studies from across the PR and marketing industries, condensing them down and making them relevant for a PR audience. Its weekly “Journalist on the move” feature can also help you keep track of your contacts.
- PR Week has region-specific sites for the US, UK, Asia and the Middle East. Although it has some great cases studies, most of its news focuses on the appointments to, departures from and financial results of multi-national PR and marketing companies.
- PRSA’s Strategies & Tactics blog is a great source of information for the strategic and tactical aspects of our profession. Aaron Blank, CEO of The Fearey Group in Seattle, a PRGN member company, contributed an article on how to transition into a new role.
Our PRGN colleagues from across the globe suggested the best PR trade titles in their markets. Here are just a few of their suggestions:
- Jonathan Klimke of Industrie-Contact recommended the German website PR Journal.
- Mark Paterson of Currie Communications in Australia said that his market is poorly served for PR news. That said, PR News Asia and PR Week’s Asia site do provide some coverage. In addition, marketing-focused site Mumbrella often covers PR stories.
- In Argentina, Dominique Biquard of Identia/PR highlights Revista Imagen, a magazine with 14 years of experience covering the business of communications and PR.
- France has three main sources of PR news, according to Stephane Billiet of WE Agency. Culture RP offers insights from PR professionals, while Le Blog Du Communicant provides deep and smart analyses on everything PR. Stephane also highlighted L’and, which covers trends affecting the PR industry.
- Finally, Charmaine Jeeva of Malaysia’s Perspective Strategies has two go-to sources for PR news. Marketing Interactive looks at communication and marketing campaigns in Malaysia, Singapore and Hong Kong, and PRCA Malaysia, features key highlights, events and insights from across the Malaysian PR landscape.
What is your go-to site for PR news and updates? Please comment below, or tweet us @LandisComm.
7 PR trends to follow for 2021 – Ragan’s PR Daily